Fairwood Community News                             


Minutes of Meeting
November 19, 2017
Monthly Business Meeting

The regular monthly business meeting of the Fairwood West Homeowners’ Association Board of Trustees was called to order at 7:00 pm on Thursday November 9th, 2017.  Trustees in attendance were Chris Hurless, Paul Buelow, Dave Sherman, Jan Schroeder, Brandy Bradford and Carlen Hughes.  Also in attendance were HOA Bookkeeper Barb Simeona and one homeowner.



Any changes to the outside of your home must have
an approved architectural control form on file
prior to work being done on the home.

You can locate the form on the Fairwood West website as noted below.

Visit the Fairwood West website located at www.fairwoodcommunitynews.com. Under the navigation bar,
hover over “Active HOAs” and select Fairwood West. 
Here you can find meeting minutes, architectural control
request forms, CC&Rs and contact information.


Renton Regional Fire Authority – No one present to report.

Molasses Creek/Park Pipeline – Chris reported that the sinkhole project is essentially complete.  Two locks are now installed, one on the front gate and one on the back gate. 

King County still needs to do plantings and maintenance.

A motion was made, seconded and approved to pay the HOA share of $100,000.00 as invoiced by King County.

Homeowner Appeals – A homeowner was in attendance to discuss CC&R violations,

Appointment of Officers and Committee Chairpersons

Motions were made, seconded and approved to accept the following as officers and committee chairpersons for 2018:

President – Chris Hurless
Vice President – Paul Buelow
Treasurer – Ray Byrd

Architectural Control – Jan Schroeder
Common Properties – Brandy Bradford
Community Events – Eileen Richards
Pride In Ownership – Eileen Richards
Renter Enforcement – Dave Sherman

Community Events – Front entryway holiday decorations were discussed.  Chris asked Eileen to speak with Richard Snyder to see if the Boy Scouts that have decorated the past few years are interested again this year. 

Pride In Ownership – On hold until spring.

Minutes of Previous Meeting – A motion was made, seconded and approved to accept the previous months’ meeting minutes as presented.

Financial Report – The monthly financial report was presented.

Treasurer Report – Nothing new to report.

Architectural Control – Nothing new to report.

Common Properties – Brandy reported that the trees in the park were taken care of.

Chris reported that the front entryway light was fixed.

Chris reported that the upper park is open however the lower area is still super soft, and we would like people to stay off that for a while.

Unfinished Business – See items below.
Chris asked that the new website please be up and running by January.

New Business – There was discussion regarding preparation for the new park playground equipment.  Chris noted that we need something on paper to putout to bid for a landscape contractor.

Covenant Enforcement – All homes in violation were discussed.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:33 pm.

The next two meetings of the Fairwood West Homeowners’ Association will be Thursday December 14th and Thursday January 11th both at 7 pm.  These meetings are in the portable building at the Nativity Lutheran Church, 17707 140th SE. 

All residents are welcome to attend. 

Respectfully Submitted,
Barb Simeona

Outstanding Action Items:
Brandy – Contact Richard Snyder regarding front entryway decorating
Jan – Handbook of processes for new Board Members
Paul – Website Revisions

Renton Regional Fire Authority – Renton Fire was present to report.  They will come to special events if requested.  Please remember to check your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms. 
In the last month significant events included 8 fires, 2 shootings, 3 vehicle accidents and a hazmat leak at Liberty High School.

A fire station is being added in Kennydale which will have a positive impact on this area.

Board of Trustees Introduction – Chris introduced all Board members.

Nomination of Candidates to the Board of Trustees – There were no nominations from the floor.  There were three nominations on the ballot.

Treasurer’s Report – Barb Simeona reported for Ray Byrd who was away on business. 

2018 Budget Proposal – Barb Simeona presented the 2018 proposed budget for Ray Byrd who was away on business.
Dave Sherman spoke regarding the proposed playground equipment.

Molasses Creek/Park Pipeline – Chris reported where King County is with the sinkhole project in the park.

They are getting ready to turn over ownership back to the HOA.  We still need to obtain some locks and the final invoices has not been received.

Plantings will need to be done to stabilize the hillsides.  King County will be responsible for maintenance on these for two years. 

It was noted that Adrian did an amazing job in dealing with the King County and he got us 2 large grants to offset the costs.  Chris also did a great job negotiating the contract.  Thanks to both!

Common Areas – Brandy spoke regarding the common areas. 
We will be taking some trees out of the park. 
We did have a tree damaged in the front entryway due to a car accident. 
There are 2 lights to fix in the front entryway.
There was a sprinkler leak in the front entryway that is now fixed.
We will be looking into new playground equipment in the park as Dave spoke on.
There is no sprinkler system in the park – this will need to be monitored once it’s back open.

Renters – Dave Sherman reported that we do have a 15% cap (58 homes) on rentals.  We put this policy into place to help keep mortgage rates at a good level.  If you let the rental situation get too high it can make mortgage rates high.

We currently have 55 known rentals.
If you are renting out your home you are required to provide your rental agreement to the HOA.
Subletting is prohibited per the rental policy.

Community Events – Eileen noted that she hangs the annual meeting sign, organizes the annual garage sale which is held in June of each year and coordinates the Home Holiday Decorating contest in December.  If you have any ideas for future community events please contact Eileen.

Website – Paul noted that the new website which is still in process will be www.fairwoodwest.org.  We will let you know when it’s fully live.  We also have a Facebook page.

CC&R Violations – The Board is working diligently on this.  We do have some ongoing difficult issues.

Welcoming Committee – This was a new group created this year.  They will report at the November meeting.

Questions and Answers -
One homeowner in attendance asked about the grassy area at the 3-way stop.  It looks awful.  In the past a group of homeowners cut it and he is happy to help do that again. 

Election Results – There were a total of 24 ballots turned in, Brandy, Christine and Carlen are the 3 new Board members and the budget was approved for 2018.

The meeting adjourned at 8:11 pm.

The next two meetings of the Fairwood West Homeowners’ Association will be Thursday November 9th and Thursday December 14th both at 7 pm.  These meetings are in the portable building at the Nativity Lutheran Church, 17707 140th SE. 

All residents are welcome to attend. 

Respectfully Submitted,
Barb Simeona